Monday, July 5, 2010

Larapinta Trek - Day 5

Section 9 - Serpentine Bush Camp to the Ochre pits (Ochre Pits in another post)

Our trek today takes in crossing the ranges at Inarlanga Pass, as well as the vibrant colour of the Aboriginal quarry at the Ochre Pits.

Inarlanga Pass









little frog


Our Guide








My camera battery died at this point.  I was so devasted!!!   TIP:   Always bring spare batteries.  Ofcourse, my camera doesn't use standard batteries, but, it would be worth buying one!   Luckily, one of the ladies on the trip had an extra camera, so, she let me borrow it for the rest of the Larapinta hike.

Inarlanga Pass is an amazing place!   I wish I had more photos of it...guess I will have to return!




Aboriginal Tjukurpa

Brolga

Long ago, when all had been made but was in total darkness, Brolga and Emu disputed as to the need for light in the world.   Brolga said no, things were fine as they were.  Emu said the animal people were forever bumping into each other and were unable to find their things when they had put them down.   Brolga got very angry and clipped Emu's wings, making he a flightless bird.  Emu avenged herself by tossing a brolga's egg into the sky.  The egg exploded and became the sun.   Now everybody can daily admire the great work of the Sky Father.

This story is virtually a replica of the stories found commonly among the Americn Indians.   In their tales, Emu is replaced by Grandmother Spider, who, of all the animal people, was the only creatue able to bring the gift of light into the world.




1 comment:

Gary said...

On my round-the-world trip, I thought I'd be smart and use all AA batteries. They're easy to find, and easy to take along. Unfortunately, my camera ate them like candy. I wished I had taken some rechargables. I ran out of power several times on that trip.