Monday, September 28, 2009

Australia Fierce Dust storm

In 2009, a dust storm swept across the eastern states of Australia from 22 to 24 September. The capital, Canberra, experienced the dust storm on 22 September,[1][2] and on 23 September the storm reached Sydney and Brisbane.

Syndey - at dawn...



Sydney - at dawn....Some poor bloke trying to have a fitness class on the beach!



How it started.....At Aryes Rock in the Northern Territory.












The fierce sandstorm reached Brisbane around lunchtime. I remember I was sitting in my office, and I noticed that the light was fading...it was getting darker, and darker. I jumped up and ran to the window and looked out - an opaque white curtain had fallen over the land.

These next photos are courtesey of a work college....


















2 comments:

Gary said...

Those are some amazing pics. I've been in areas with fires nearby when the smoke gave everything an eerie tinge, but nothing like this. Was it hard to breathe?

YankeeGirlInAustralia said...

Hi Gary!

The dust storm was caused by fierce winds and dry conditions, so, it was just dust. Fortuantly, it wasn't caused from fire.

I personally didn't have problems breathing, because I am blessed to not be asthmatic, but those with peole with those sorts of health problems were warned not to go outside. It was particularly bad in Sydney. I heard about one guy in Syndey who wasn't about to be deterred from his morning jog and ended up in the hospital!