Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Rowing Camp

Sunrise at the Rowing Camp...



As I jogged along the Brisbane river and the sun begins to rise, I would see slick boats, their occupants all rowing in perfect synchronicity, gliding by. I want to do that! I want to do that! Rowing is a perfect combination of exercises of the mind and the body. It is a combination of focusing on timing and perfecting your stoke along with physical exhilaration to make your heart race.

I search and search the Internet for club near my house. As this one has no web site, I just happened upon it as I drove along the river's edge in search of a shed.




At first I was an outsider to the tight knit family. I didn't know how to row, I was constantly doing everything wrong and to top it off, I am a Yankee. When the professional coach was there, he yelled at me for 2 hours straight. My sun glasses hid my tears of frustration and embarrassment.

Still, I showed up every opportunity I was allowed. I get up out of bed at 4:14 to be at the shed by 4:50 am.

I have even completed my first rowing regatta! Pictures of that coming soon.

So, yes, you can do anything that you put your mind to, persistence is the key. I am proof.

Ready to Row....



Yeah...but, which way??




Going for a tinny ride....



From up above...




Just chillin' on the deck....



Susan is ready for some action....

No comments: